Saturday, January 5, 2008

First Blog

As we start a new year, I start out with my first ever blog! I am not a writer; I am a knitter. Fortunately, my sister is a writer, so I'm hoping some of her talent will carry over the bloodline to me.


I just returned from a trip down south to visit my family, a trip we make once every year or two. I took four projects with me. (1) A near-completed cabled cardigan for me, (2) a just-begun Aran cardigan for my hubby, (3) socks for my 7-year old, and (4) fetching with my left-over yarn from 1.

It was a good trip for knitting. I completed (1). It turned out beautifully. This was a very old pattern from Vogue Knitting from the 50's or 60's, knit with yarn from my stash. I had to modify the pattern for fit (I wanted a close fit vs. the oversize fit in the book), for yarn size and to knit in the round vs. pieces (I hate finishing).

I also completed (4). I had stepped away from knitting for a few years and have recently returned (now that my kids are out of toddlerhood), and discovered some new techniques. For this project, I decided to try knitting both at the same time on two circular needles. It wasn't too difficult, but I found it challenging to keep track of the yarn. And, I was using old plastic (nylon?) needles which were not as flexible as I would have liked. So, I think I'll try again under better conditions. But fetching turned out nice, as well. My mom admired them, so when I finished, I just gave them to her. (Forgot to take pics.)

I made good headway on (2), but didn't really bring enough yarn. I completed one sock in (2), and started the second. For these socks, I tried the Magic Loop approach. I really liked this technique. I find it very comfortable, not what I had expected.

All in all, I had a very productive Winter Break. The kids are back in school on Monday, and I'm back to work. Back to reality. Hopefully, I'll find some time to knit. But, now that I've discovered Ravelry and blogging, I'll have to manage my free time :)

Happy New Year!

No comments: